A fresh new year has arrived, and although I have made it standard practice to wait until February to really start anew (it always seems there's too many lingering obligations in January to jump right in), I am laying out my resolutions in advance. Looking back over the past few years here, I have failed miserably at fulfilling my goals. Oh well, other things were accomplished. I am hoping to have some more focus in 2014, and make some of this stuff happen!
- Garden! garden, garden, garden... I have grand plans for a summer filled with homegrown veggies. Our August baby put a big dent in our garden plans last year (although James did do a great job keeping it up). I want to start seeds indoors and have a master plan by the end of February. In the spring I'd like to build a gate.
- Meal plans. I love to cook but I am terrible at planning out our meals for the week and I spend a crazy amount of money on groceries. I don't expect to be too strict with meal plans, but I do need to have at least a rough strategy when I head to the store. I also hope to get back into posting more recipes here, and some organization in our kitchen will help me find the time to snap a few pictures of our food each week.
- Sleep. Yeah, this is the problem that just never goes away. Now not only am I still an insomniac, but I have a baby who wakes up with a bright smile ready to start the day at 3AM. No joke. Not sure how to make this one happen, but it had to make the list.
- Me time. I truly take almost no time for myself, and when I do have a moment I usually end up playing on my phone or taking a shower (the luxury!), so it ends up not feeling special. I'd like to try to take 90 minutes twice a week to do something deliberate for myself; yoga, knitting, reading a book... anything except screen time.
- Us time. Realistically, we just aren't a couple that's going to have a regular date night at this stage in our lives. For better or worse, I'm not comfortable leaving a small baby with a sitter or friends, so aside from when we visit my mother and hit the town... at least one of us is home bound after 7PM. With that as a given for the time being, I'd still like to set aside at least one night a week where we have a real 'home date'. No chores, a few candles, maybe some lipstick, a fire, some real conversation. We do have nights like this, but not nearly enough!
- Sun porch makeover. We have a little glassed in porch space that I want to do a mini renovation on this spring so that it can act as a play space in the warmer months. I am thinking plywood floors, chalk boards, a swing, fun storage, and I had wanted a sand table but Little Smith wasted no time correcting me that he'd like a train table instead. Got it!
- Style. Clothes, hair, and makeup (what's that?) are not a big area of interest for me. I'm not going to go nuts on this, but my family recently gave me a big photo album dating from the '70s to present, and I was so blown away my how pretty everyone looked as young mothers; great simple clothes, great hair. I still have a little less than ten pounds of baby weight hanging around and I'm starting to think that might just be me now, so I would like to make a few steps to feel better about my appearance. I think this is the year where I take at least one day a week to not put my hair in a bun or a ponytail. A little more effort in this area is something I really need.
- This here blog. I have been struggling with keeping this space up since the start of my nausea filled pregnancy. Now that I am gaining some confidence with juggling the two babes, I want to get back into posting more frequently. It might not be 5 days a week, but at least 2 plus portraits (if I decide to do portraits in 2014, still not sure).
As usual, my list is ambitious, but I hope to actually tackle these things this time around. You'll notice that there really isn't anything that involves the kids, not that they aren't tremendously important, but I feel like that is the one area where we are actually good about being thoughtful and deliberate in appreciating our time, so more of that in 2014!
This past year was very good to us, a new baby, a new job for James, preschool (and the first time being left with anyone that is not a family member) for Little Smith. I expect this year will be quieter, a time of steady growth and improvement for our little family. Thank you so much to all of you who check in with us, whether you offer occasional words of wisdom and encouragement or just read silently, we feel the support.